House Lannister is one the greatest houses in Westeros, due to its most powerful families, rich and old dynasty.
It stands as the current royal house in the seven kingdoms after the extinction of House Baratheon of King’s Landing. Which may be there puppet house in Westeros.
Summary of House Lannister
House Lannister rules over the westerlands. Their place is Casterly Rock, a massive rocky establishment which has habitations and fortifications construct into it over the years.
They are the Lords paramount of the westerlands, it rules as the Warden of the West. They also rules directly over the crownlands, from their place of the Red Keep in King’s Landing.
Their sigil consist of the golden lion on a crimson background, and their house words are “Hear me roar”. They also have their unofficial motto, “A Lannister always pays his debts”. This is been heard many times in a negative context.
Tywin Lannister kept himself as the key supporter in the war of the five kings.
Founder Lann the Clever
Ancestral Weapon Brightroar, Oathkeeper (given to House Tarth) and Widow’s wail
Sigil A golden lion rampant on a crimson field
Words “Hear me Roar!”
Cadet Branch House Lannister of Lannisport
Military Strength 20,000 men (approx)
Religion “Faith of the seven”
Vassals House Greenfield, Lorch, Yarwyck, Hetherspoon, Tarbeck, Reyne, Westerling, Payne, Marbrand, Lefford, Crakehall, Swyft, Clegane, Stokeworth, Gaunt, Rykker, Blount, Thorne, Rosby and Slynt
Heir Ser Jaime Lannister
Region (a) The Crownlands (b) The Westerlands
Seat Casterly Rock, Red Keep and King’s Landing
Titles Kings of the Rock, Shields of Lannisport, Wardens of the West, Lords Paramount of the Westerlands, Lords of Casterly Rock, Protectors of the seven Kingdoms and Kings of the Andals and the first Men
- Tywin Lannister eldest son of Tytos Lannister. Lord of Casterly Rock, Lord Paramount of the Westerlands, Warden of the West, Saviour of the city of the King’s Landing, Hand of the King and Protector of the realm (Killed by his son Tyrion)
- Joanna Lannister Wife of Tywin Lannister. Died after giving birth to Tyrion. She is also a first cousin of Tywin.
- Cersei Lannister Only daughter of Tywin and Joanna. Widow to the late King Robert Baratheon, Queen mother, Queen Dowager, former Queen Regent. At present Lady of Casterly Rock, Queen of the Andals and the first men and Protector of the seven Kingdoms.
- Jaime Lannister oldest son of Tywin and Joanna. Called as “The Kingslayer”. Former lord commander of the Kingsguard.
- Joffrey Baratheon Elder son of Jaime and Cersei. King of the Andals and the first men, Protector of the Realm and Lord of the seven Kingdoms. (Poisoned at his own wedding)
- Myrcella Baratheon Only daughter of Jaime and Cersei. Send for safety by Tyrion at Dorne. (Poisoned by Ellaria Sand)
- Tommen Baratheon Youngest son of Jaime and Cersei. Lord of the seven Kingdoms and King of the Andals and the first men. (Committed suicide after his wife’s death Margaery Tyrell)
- Tyrian Lannister Youngest son of Tywin and Joanna. Called as an “Imp” and “Halfman”, a dwarf, former Hand of the King and Master coin to King Joffrey. He is a fugitive after killing his father and condemned to death. Now Hand of the King to Daenerys Targaryen.
- Sansa Stark Wife to Tyrion Lannister by force. The marriage is still unconsummated. Now as a Lady of the Winterfell.
- Kevan Lannister Tywin’s younger brother and close advisor. Hand of the King to Tommen Baratheon. (Killed in the destruction of the great Sept of Baelor).
- Dorna Wife of Kevan Lannister.
- Lancel Lannister Eldest son of Kevan and Dorna. Former squire to King Robert Baratheon. Renamed his name as “Brother Lancel” after joining the Sparrows and the Faith Militant. (Killed during the destruction of the Sept of Baelor)
- Martyn Lannister Second son of Kevan and Dorna. He is a Squire in the Lannister army. (Murdered by Rickard Stark while hostage at Riverrun).
- Willem Lannister Youngest son of Kevan and Dorna A squire in the Lannister army. (Killed by Rickard Stark while hostage at Riverrun)
- Alton Lannister He is a cousin to Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion. He comes from a lesser branch of this family. Alton remained as a prisoner to House Stark and get killed by Jaime as an escape. He states that his mother is Cynda Lannister.
- Lyman Lannister He is also a cousin to House Lannister from the main line.
- House Lannister of Lanisport This is a cadet branch of this family. Formally organise as a distant house. This house rules the city of Lanisport for the main branch. And the main branch rules the gold mine place of Casterly Rock in the nearby rocky mountains above Lanisport
- Reginald Lannister He is a bannerman of Tywin. He fought for House Lannister during the war of the five kings
House Lannister is a wealthy, rich and powerful family more than 6000 years, dating back from the Age of heroes and Andal invasions.
Due to this it has produced many cadet branch and distant relatives.
On there side, House Stark is very much older than House Lannister, so due to the poor conditions of the north (including economic and wildlings threat) in the War of the five kings, House Stark has few cousins and cadet branch which is only House Karstark.
There are many small other members of House Lannister which still exists. But these houses are so distant that the main house wouldn’t like to describe them.
- Lann the Clever Ancestor of modern House Lannister
- Tommen II Lannister King of the Rocks. He sailed to Valyria and never returned.
- Loren Lannister King of the Rock. He bent the knee to Aegon the conqueror. He became the first Warden of the West and Lord Paramount of the Westerlands.
- Tyland Lannister Member of the small council during the reigns of Viserys I and Aegon II.
- Damon Lannister A lord
House Clegane, Westerlands (of Crag), Swyft (of Cornfield), Serrett (of Silverhill), Payne, Marbrand (of Ashemark), Lorch, Lefford (of Golden Tooth) and Crakehall
- Gregor Clegane “the Mountain that Rides” or “the Mountain”, member of Kingsguard
- Qyburn Hand of the Queen to Cersei and Master of whisperers.
- Amory Lorch Under mysterious conditions in Harrenhall, gets poisoned
- Biter and Rorge Criminals of the Night’s Watch, gets recruit into the army of Lannister. (Killed by Sandor Clegane and Arya Stark)
- Polliver Serving under the Amory Lorch and after the Mountain. (Killed by Arya Stark)
- Lowell A man at arms. (Killed by Sandor Clegane at the same while killing Polliver)
In the books A song of Ice and Fire, House Lannister is formed many thousands of years prior to books, by a man Lann the Clever.
He created the stronghold Casterly Rock, by tricking the powerful Casterly family into abandoning.
House Lannister rules the region known as the Westerlands. In these regions they are getting rich through gold and silver mines, ever since they are established.
The Lannisters stayed out from the war during Robert’s Rebellion. But after the great victory at Trident, the Lannisters with their army marched towards King’s Landing relief.
Instead in helping the city by defending, they sacked it brutally. They killed the King Aerys and his grandchildren.
By this Robert Baratheon forgive the Tywin publically for it’s actions and accepted his alliance.
Robert marries Cersei in thanks to Tywin for its assistance.
But Ned Stark sees the Lannisters actions as an betrayal. He never trusted them throughout his life.
House Lannister has a main branch which is lead by Tywin Lannister and minor branch leads by their cousins. The cousins controls the city of Lanisport.
The Lannisters are very much large in number in their family. But nearly little low as Freys of the crossing.
There is a very minor change in the books that, the sigil of House Lannister shows passants (striding on all four legs). But the Lion is rampant in the TV series.
We all can see the Tywin’s battle flag during the Battle of the Free Folk.
The Lannister is pronounced as “LAN-iss-ter” according to TV series official pronunciation guide. It rhymes with Lancaster.
This series is loosely inspired by the English war between the “Yorks and Lancaster”. Due to the conflict between the “Starks and Lannister”.
House Lannister is one the great, rich and powerful in the Westeros. Their lands are in the far west in Westeros. Their ruling place seat is Casterly Rock, a castle on rocky place overlooking the Sunset sea.
It looks after the thriving city of Lanisport, and runs the top priority gold mines in the Westeros. They are the wealthiest family in the seven kingdoms.
Once they used to posses a Valyrian steel sword called Brightroar, which was lost by Tommen Lannister II.
These fair, handsome and tall Lannisters are blood of Andal adventerurs. They carved out a kingdom in western hills and valleys.
From the female line, they boast of descent from Lann the clever, a legendary trickster of the Age of Heroes. They swindle Casterly rock from their previous rulers.
And also they use to rule the Westerlands as the Kings of the Rock , swearing an alliance to Targaryen before.
Loren Lannister is the last known King of the Rock. And also the last King of Mern Gardener and The Reach.
They all joined the forces of about 60,000 mens against Aegon the Conqueror.
All of them gets defeat in the battle which is known as ‘The Field Fire’, and lost nearly 4000 mens.
From that all of these joined forces started serving the Targaryens and presently King Robert Baratheon, as the Lords of the Paramount of the Westerlands and Wardens of the West.
The golden tooth and the gold of the Casterly Rock, made them the wealthiest in the seven Kingdoms.
The current head of this House Lannister family is Tywin Lannister. His father Tytos Lannister fitters away their fortune much on the poor investments.
This allows himself to get mock in court creating the perception of weakness.
The Vassals of House Reyne of Castamere rebells against Tytos Lannister.
Tywin Lannister personally puts down the rebellion, by re-establishing the fearsome reputation and extinguishing their house of House Lannister.
Tywin’s ruthless work gave dark meaning to the common words, “A Lannister always pays his debts”.
He also gets immortalise in the song of “The Rains of Castamere”.
Tywin Lannister has 3 children Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion Lannister along with his wife Joanna Lannister.
Joanna dies after giving birth to Tyrian. Tywin and Tyrian always have the trouble relationship with each other. Cersei and Jaime both of them are fraternal twins.
Cersei and Jaime both of them have a long lasting incest relationship with each other.
Their relationship gave births to Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen.
House Lannister is able to raise about 60,000 of men within a short period of time.
Due to the richest house in Westeros, their armies are best equipped in Westeros. Even though House Tyrell commands large army in numbers.
But Lannister’s army are badly reduced because of the ‘War of the Five Kings’, ‘battle of Blackwater’ and the battles with Robb Stark. Mostly the battle of Oxcross cost him a lot.
But this house is still able to stand 10,000 and even more men. They still has a garrison of 10,000 soldiers in Casterly Rock and commands these considerable amount of men.
If you guys have any extra knowledge about this family tree in Game of thrones tv series, then feel free to comment in the box below.
you can even send the links of your videos or theories explaining about it. i would love to read it and gain extra something from you guys.
By the way
thanks for reading the post. please share it.
- House Targaryen Family Tree [Complete Family And History Details]
- House Stark Family Tree [Complete Family And History Details]
- House Mormont Family Tree [Complete Family And History Details]
- House Baratheon Family Tree [Complete Family And History Details]
- House Tyrell Family Tree [Complete Family And History Details]